Introduction to Tourist Visa
Most foreign visitors enter Thailand on a Tourist Visa. A Tourist Visa is issued to Non-Thai nationals entering Thailand for leisure and tourism purposes. This class of visa restricts visa holders to tourism and does specifically not allow to conduct business or to work in the Kingdom. Tourist Visa are required under two circumstances:
- If a person holding nationality from a country that does not have visa exemption agreements with Thailand is planning to enter the Kingdom or
- If a national from a country having visa exemption agreements with Thailands plans to stay in Thailand for tourism purposes longer than what is allowed under the visa exemption
Visa exemptions exist with a large number of countries, but the allowed period of stay is country specific. All citizens of countries that have visa exemption agreements with Thailand still need to obtain a Tourist Visa upon entry, but this visa does not need to be applied for prior to arrival. These Visa on Arrival are granted to applicants directly at the respective border point point of entry.
Tourist Visa as such, can be obtained with validity of either up to 30 or up to 60 days. Both variations allow for an extension of 30 days which can be applied for with the nearest immigration office.
Countries covered by visa exemption agreements
Citizens of the following countries are entitled to visa exemptions for a period of stay of up to 15 days:
Citizens of the following countries are entitled to visa exemptions for a period of stay of up to 30 days if the respective point of entry is an airport and for a period of stay of up to 15 days, if the respective point of entry is a land border (exemption: citizens of Malaysia will be granted a period of stay of up to 30 days also when entering by land, if the border point is between Thailand and Malaysia). Holders of this type of visa might apply for a visa extension of up to 7 days.
Citizens of the following countries are are entitled for visa exemption on Tourist Visa for a period of stay of up to 90 days:
Obtaining a Tourist Visa
- Applicants wish to enter Thailand for tourism purposes
- Necessary Documents
- Passport, valid at least 6 months
- Visa application form
- Passport sized (4 x 6 cm) photo of the applicant
- Air ticket fully paid and confirmed
- Proof of financial means (20,000 Thai Bath per person and 40,000 Thai Bath per family)
- Other documents as required by the consular officers
- Equivalent of 30 US Dollar per entry (might be changed without prior notice)
- Validity, Period of Stay, Extension
- Tourist Visa are valid for either three or six months (i.e. entry must occur within 90 or 180 days after issuance)
- Tourist Visa entitle holders for a period of stay of either up to 30 or up to 60 days
- This visa type might be extended for up to 30 days, the extension is subject to the discretion of the Immigration Department
- Passport holders of the following countries must file the application at the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General where they have their registered permanent residence : Algeria, Bangladesh, Eqypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestina, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Yemen.